St. Peter-Summit Pacific Rural Family Medicine Program
We are an ACGME-accredited, rural family medicine residency program affiliated with Providence St. Peter Hospital in nearby Olympia, Washington, and the first rural training program in Grays Harbor County. Residents gain hands-on, full scope family medicine training across the spectrum of rural primary care delivery, including ambulatory care in our new Wellness Center, emergency and urgent care in our high-volume rural Emergency Department and onsite Urgent Care Clinic, and wide-ranging disease presentations requiring inpatient care in our critical access hospital.
Our innovative curriculum is a traditional 1:2 rural program integrated with Providence St. Peter Family Medicine Residency program. Educational experiences span the continuum of patient care, from a large urban core hospital to a rural critical access hospital, ambulatory care, and rural health clinics.
Physicians are specially trained to lead interprofessional health teams, care for the needs of all patients, and serve the healthcare needs of the rural community. In the rural setting, residents work alongside our community based, experienced Family Medicine faculty as an integral part of an inter-professional health care team to provide care for the culturally diverse, rurally located, and often underserved patient population in Grays Harbor County.
Unique features of the Providence St. Peter-Summit Pacific Rural Family Medicine program include:
- Opportunities to train longitudinally with specialists in the rural setting, including OB/GYN
- Dermatology, Orthopedics, Pediatrics, and General Surgery
- Collaboration with rural community health partners for unique patient care integration across settings
- Innovative low barrier substance use disorder clinic and addiction medicine training including Suboxone management
- Full spectrum family medicine training including OB from well-trained family physicians
- Interprofessional team-based care delivery approach in the rural setting with pharmacy, nursing, nutrition, physical therapy, social services, naturopathy, and health administration professionals
- High patient volume and diverse disease presentations in emergency, urgent care, inpatient and ambulatory care delivery settings
- Opportunity for learning a wide spectrum of ambulatory and hospital procedures
- Integration with medical student education to optimize clinical teaching skills
- Options for full spectrum family medicine practice and faculty teaching jobs at Summit Pacific Medical Center post-residency